- 1 block tofu
- rosemary, chopped (fresh or dry)
- 1 big clove garlic, sliced
- 1-2 tsp salt
- olive oil or water
- 3-4 olives
- to taste sun-dried tomatoes
There’s basically two ways of making the vegan feta, with or without oil. The oil-less version is more healthy, but it expires earlier than the one in oil, which also is more similar to the real feta.
1. Slice the tofu into 1 x 1 x 1 cubes. Place a handful on the bottom of the jar, then add salt, rosemary, and some garlic. Then add the next layer of tofu, herbs, and garlic. Once the jar is full you can decide which version you prefer. If you choose the oil-less version, fill the jar with the liquid of the tofu and water. This one should be eaten within a week. I also add the liquid from the olives if I have any leftover for extra taste.
2. If you choose the oily one, then fill your jar with any kind of liquid oil, best is olive. Sometimes I also add the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes that came in a jar for extra taste. This version should be good for a month. (Coconut oil is not good for this one as it won’t keep the liquid form in the fridge.)
3. Either way, once you fill your jar, close it with a lid and shake it well, place it in the fridge for 1-2 days so the tofu can absorb the flavors.
Photo: Imola Toth