Vegan Stir Fried Vermicelli Noodles In Sweet Soy Sauce (Malaysian Bihun Goreng Putih)
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 pack (450g) Vermicelli Noodles, soaked in cold water
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 4 sticks Bean Curd
- 1/4 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp (or to taste) Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp (or to taste) White Pepper
1. Chop the onion and garlic finely.
2. Slice the spinach, mushrooms and bean curd—it’s okay to keep these quite large/chunky. This provides a nice contrast against the soft, delicate rice vermicelli noodles.
3. Heat the olive oil in a wok or pan on high. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft, but not translucent—this should only take a minute or so. All in all, the frying should take only five minutes which is the beauty of stir fries!
4. Add the spinach, bean curd and mushrooms. Pour the stock into your wok/pan, stirring throughout. You should still have your heat setting on high.
5. Once the spinach is just wilted, add the vermicelli. Mix well. Finally, add the soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, and pepper to taste. Stir, turn off the heat and let the noodles absorb the stock for a couple of minutes. Enjoy! I recommend serving this with finely sliced green or red chillies if you like your noodles spicy, but when feeding more people I tend to keep it mild.😊
Photo: Deborah Tan