I love making soup any time of year. The process of making soup has always felt like one of the more introspection-inducing kitchen activities. Soup is quiet, and the rhythmic stirring of the vegetable and broth never fails to soothe. And let's not forget the way soup has a tendency to fill your kitchen (and beyond) with a warming, grounding fragrance. So here's to soup! May it nourish your soul.
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- juice of three limes (or more!)
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- lime wedges for garnish (optional)
2. Sauté onion for five minutes or until it begins to turn translucent.
3. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, stirring often.
4. Add the carrots. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, allowing them to soften.
5. Add veggie broth, tamari, and coconut milk. Cover the soup and allow it to simmer for five minutes or until the carrots are fork tender.
6. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a blender. Add the lime juice and basil. Purée until the soup is perfectly creamy.
7. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
Related: Sweet Potato Apple Soup
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell