St. Patrick's Day usually brings to mind corned beef, cabbage, and maybe some Guinness. Obviously, around here, we don't condone the beef (unless it's seitan). While traditional Irish cuisine may be heavy on the meat, it also offers lots of plant-based options--like this vegetable boxty. The recipe highlights the humble potato, one of Ireland's most prolific crops. It's naturally vegetarian (and gluten-free), but can easily be made vegan by subbing out the egg for a flax egg. Try out this festive dish for St. Patrick's Day or any other time you're craving a hearty vegan brunch.
Vegan Sandwich Recipes: Irish Vegetable Boxty
Recipe Type: Sandwiches
YIELDS 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons + 1 cup water, divided
- 3 oz. (about 2/3 cup) potato pancake mix (I recommend Streit’s)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sautéed kale
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup sautéed onions
1. Whisk together flax meal and 3 tbs. water for "flax egg." Set remaining water aside. 2. In separate bowl, combine potato pancake mix, cornstarch, and baking powder. 3. Slowly whisk in remaining 1 cup of water. 4. Add "flax egg," apple cider vinegar, and shredded potatoes, combining well. 5. Heat 1/2 tbs. oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. 6. Add half of potato mixture, spreading evenly into a pancake shape. 7. Spoon half of the cheese and veggies into the middle of the pancake. 8. Once the bottom has become crispy (about 5 minutes later), fold it in half as you would an omelette. 9. Flip over to cook on the other side for about 2-3 minutes. 10. Move onto plate and repeat process with remaining ingredients. 11. Serve with roasted veggies and a bit of non-dairy sour cream if desired.
Also by Quincy: Vegan Appetizer Recipes: Fried Okra
Related: Vegan Gluten-Free Breadless Eggplant Sandwich
Guide to a Perfect Vegan St. Patrick's Day
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas