To make the pickled onions:
1. Pell and slice a medium sized onion.
2. In a small bowl, mix the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar.
3. Add the onions to a mason jar and top with the water and vinegar mixture. This will fill up a 16 oz mason jar perfectly .
4. Store in the fridge overnight and they're ready to use the next day.
For the salad:
1. Wash your endive, slice off the core on the end, and cut the endive down the middle into two halves.
2. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add the endive, cut side down, to the pan. Let this sit for a few minutes until the leaves start to brown and soften. You can then flip the endive over for a minute to let the outermost leaves reach the heat.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the spinach, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Toss well.
4. Remove the endive from the pan and arrange it with the spinach, apricot, and pickled onions on a plate.
5. Sprinkle with hemp hearts.
Also by Lauren: Tofu Thai Tacos with Ginger Sesame Sauce
Related: Lemony Shaved Asparagus Salad
Turkish Spinach with Dill Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote