On days when the humidity outside becomes heavy and oppressive, I turn to simple, nourishing dishes like this Corn, Tomato, and Chickpea Salad with Polenta Croutons to enliven me.
With raw veggies, protein-rich chickpeas, and crispy polenta croutons, this meal couldn’t be more welcoming on a summer’s day. Moreover, the antioxidants in the raw tomatoes help keep your skin safe on bright sunny days, making this dish and summery weather a match made in heaven. (But don’t skip sunscreen, of course!)
Feel free to use any pre-made polenta for this dish; I used a gluten-free variation that included quinoa, hence the speckles in the photographs. A bonus is that this salad travels well–perfect for a picnic on the beach!
Corn, Tomato, and Chickpea Salad With Polenta Croutons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package polenta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ears corn corn, cut off cob
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
1. In a small pan over medium heat, saute polenta for 10 minutes until it begins to brown and crisp on the outside.
2. While the polenta is sauteing, mix together chickpeas, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
3. Spoon salad mixture into bowl and serve topped with warm croutons.
Also by Molly: Collard Wraps with Almond Ginger Sauce
Related: Vegan Polenta with Peperonata
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne