I am a firm believer that eating a plant-based diet is more fulfilling and satisfying than eating meat. Others, however, might not share this idea and think that vegans are deprived and deficient. This could not be further from the truth, which is why I make it my mission to create plant based versions of all the traditional favorites.
This salad recreates the classic BLT sandwich, it gives you all the flavors of the original and also provides you with essential vitamins and minerals. The “bacon” that I made for this recipe uses tempeh which holds the flavor well of the savory marinade. A creamy ranch style dressing is made using blended sunflower seeds in place of buttermilk.
This is a savory, satisfying salad that will excite your taste buds and nourish your body. Enjoy!
Vegan BLT Salad with Sunflower Ranch Dressing
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 2 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tempeh bacon:
- 8 oz package tempeh, sliced
- 1/8 cup liquid aminos
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch raw sugar
- Sunflower ranch:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dill, dried
- 1/2 tsp parsley, dried
- to taste sea salt and pepper
1. Soak the sunflower seeds for 1 – 3 hours.
2. Drain the water and add the seeds into your blender with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Blend until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Mix together the aminos and spices, pour over the tempeh and let it marinate for 15-20 min.
5. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan over med high heat and brown the tempeh slices until they are crispy on each side.
6. To assemble the salad, take some greens and top with the tempeh, tomato and avocado. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Rainbow Spring Rolls with Carrot Ginger Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Kathryn Farrugia