Ah, pesto. Whether you like to use it as a dip, spread it on a sandwich, or drown your pasta in it, pesto is a fantastically delicious and versatile food. Typically pesto isn’t vegan. (The traditional recipe calls for parmesan cheese.) Rarer still to be found is a low FODMAP pesto. This vegan pesto, however, gives you all the flavors of a traditional pesto, has hidden vegetables, and won’t give you a sore stomach after eating. Dare I say win, win, win?
Interested in the low FODMAP diet? Check out how following a low FODMAP diet helped me overcome stomach pain and bloating.
Easy Vegan Pesto- Low FODMAP
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 cups Fresh Basil
- 1 Small lemon
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 3 tablespoons Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Slivered Almonds
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (or more to taste)
- Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut zucchini in half and then in half again.
3. Place on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 15/20 minutes (no oil required!.)
4. Add the baked zucchini, basil (make sure there are no stems), peas, juice from 1 small lemon, avocado oil, garlic infused olive oil, 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, water, salt, and pepper, to a blender.
5. Blend until all ingredients are combined. After transferring the pesto to a bowl, top with 1 tablespoon of slivered almonds.
Also by Bella: Gluten-Free Eggnog with Holiday Spiced Tea
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Bella Gadsby