Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
- 2 cups penne pasta (precooked)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2x garlic cloves (minced)
- A gentle splash of vodka
- 1x canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Generous pinch of mixed Italian herbs or oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A dash of nutritional yeast
- ½ coconut cream (one small carton)
- Fresh basil (for topping)
1. Before starting, I always like to start by pre-cooking the pasta first which normally takes about 7–10 minutes (depending on the cooking directions of your pasta package) in a pot of boiling water, a drizzle of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt.
2. While that’s cooking, I start chopping the onions and sautéing them over a hot pan of drizzled olive oil until slightly softened before adding in the minced garlic on low to medium heat.
3. Once the pan starts drying up, switching to low heat, gently add a splash of vodka and make sure to carefully back away as you’ll start your own flambé show! Use a wooden spoon to stir the glazed onion and garlic until it dies down.
4. Then add in a can of tomatoes and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Next add in your tomato paste and stir until it dissolves into the tomato sauce.
6. Add a pinch of chili flakes (depending on how spicy you’d like) and transfer into a high speed blender.
7. Before blending, add a pinch of dried Italian herbs or oregano and blend until smooth.
8. Transfer back onto the pan and mix in your coconut cream, add gradually as you get mesmerized with the beautiful swirls and color change. Don’t add too much coconut cream so it won’t overpower the overall taste of the sauce. Taste as you go.
9. Finally add in your cooked penne pasta, combine well until every pasta gets coated.
10. And a dash of nutritional yeast (depending on how much “cheesy” taste you prefer), tear some fresh basil leaves over and enjoy this lush pasta recipe!
If you still craving for more pasta dishes, try:
Lady and the Tramp-Inspired Spaghetti “Meatballs” (Vegan)
Marathon Running Cravings: Aglio e Olio (Garlic and Olive Oil) Pasta
Vegan “Chicken” Macaroni Soup (Filipino Comfort Food)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino