Lentil dal is delicious as is, but turning it into a soup just gives it an even more comforting feel. The original soup calls for red lentils, but I just used the brown lentils that I had on hand and it worked out just fine. I served this alongside a garden salad for a light but satisfying lunch that left me with no cravings. This would also go well with some sort of bread to soak it up.
Vegan Lentil Dal Soup With Spinach
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for a couple minutes.
2. Add the garlic, spices, and tomatoes and stir to coat. Sauté for a minute to let the flavors develop.
3. Add the lentils, veggie broth, and coconut milk.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20–25 minutes, until the lentils soften.
5. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
6. Stir in lime juice and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote