Vegan “Chicken” Macaroni Soup (Filipino Comfort Food)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 vegan luncheon (or vegan sausages)
- 1 celery stick (chopped)
- 1/4 carrot (mini cubes)
- 1/4 cabbage (chopped)
- 5 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- Half of firm tofu (shredded) - to mimic shredded chicken breast
1. On a hot pot, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil to precook your vegan luncheon or sausages. When cooked, remove them from the pan and transfer them onto a plate to cool down.
2. On the same pan, now with the leftover flavor residue, add another 1 tbsp of oil to sauté your onion.
3. Then add your garlic until fragrant.
4. Next add your carrots and celery (the harder vegetables that will take longer to cook) for about 5–10 minutes.
5. When they start softening, add your water or vegetable stock and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
6. Season with black pepper and salt then add your elbow macaroni and let it cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
7. While waiting, chop your vegan luncheon or sausages into bite size and add it onto the soup for extra flavor and color together with your cabbage.
8. Finally serve in a bowl and enjoy your comforting soup 🙂
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino