This stew is simple to make and it results in the perfect bowl of savory comfort food. I used red cooking wine in my sauce but feel free to use real red wine if you prefer a stronger and more bold flavor. I served this over mashed potatoes but it could also be served over rice or toast. I choose to cook this on high for a few hours but if you want to set it overnight or while you’re away for the day, you can set the crockpot to low and let it cook for 8 hours.
Vegan Jackfruit Marsala Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups fresh jackfruit
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup parsnips, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp red cooking wine
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
1. Add olive oil to a large sauté pan and heat over medium high.
2. Add the jackfruit, mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, and parsnips and stir to coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Sauté for a few minutes to let everything soften. Add the tomato paste and thyme, stir to coat again and sauté for a minute before adding the cooking wine and balsamic.
4. Once the liquid in the pan reduces by half, pour everything in to the crock pot.
5. Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf to the crockpot, stir, and set on high for 2 and a half hours.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water until smooth and pour into crock pot. Stir and leave to sit for another half hour to thicken.
7. Lower setting to warm and serve.
Also by Lauren: Greek Braised Green Beans
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote