Cranberries, in my opinion, do not get enough of the spotlight on the Thanksgiving table. It often takes its place on the relish tray next to the turkey, but there are so many different uses for this delicious berry. With harvest season from September to November, cranberries come just in time for holiday cooking. These tart little gems are packed full of antioxidants and a one of the most healthy berries. They can be used in a number of different ways in both sweet and savory dishes. This recipe fuses a basic vegan brownie recipe with a homemade cranberry sauce. The results are moist, tart brownie bites that make a perfect addition to your dessert table this holiday season.
Vegan Holiday Recipes: Cranberry Brownies
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 9 x 9 pan
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup oats, ground into a coarse flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 4 small squares dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375* F.
2. Add the cranberries, water, sugar and cinnamon sticks into a small saucepan
3. Simmer over med high heat until cranberries have broken open and reduced to a thick sauce (makes about 1 cup once reduced down)
4. Place the dates, 1 cup walnuts, cacao and cranberry sauce into the food processor. Blend until a thick batter forms
5. Fold in the oat flour, chopped walnuts and dark chocolate pieces. Mix well
6. Pour batter into a baking dish coated with a little bit of coconut oil
7. Bake at 25 – 30 min or until toothpick comes out clean
8. Cut into squares or use your favorite cookie cutter. Enjoy!
Also see: Chocolate Muffins with Avocado Frosting
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Kathryn Farrugia