This traditional Hungarian recipe of rizi-bizi (rice with peas) is from my Grandma's kitchen but I am sure many of you might be familiar with it, as I heard from other people they believe it's Italian (they call it Risi e Bisi) or Croatian (who also call it rizi bizi) recipe, but as simple it is, it might be a global dish.
GF Vegan Tofu Schnitzel With Rizi-bizi (Rice And Peas)
- 250 g arborio rice
- 175 g frozen green peas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- to garnish fresh parsley leaves
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu, sliced into fillets then patted dry
- 3 tbs chicken seasoning
- 1 +1 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 cups gluten free breadcrumbs
- for shallow frying vegetable oil
1. In a saucepan heat up the olive oil and sauté the finely chopped onion until transparent, add rice and sauté for a few minutes until each rice piece becomes greasy with oil.
2. Add water to the rice, salt and pepper. Usual measure of the manufacturer for cooking rice is 1:3 (rice: water), so do it as they say. Cook rice stirring occasionally until rice is done.
3. Just then stir in frozen peas and parsley, combine well and cover with a lit. Let it sit until peas are soft.
4. Meanwhile rice is cooking prepare the tofu schnitzel:
Mix together 1 cup flour & chicken seasoning in a mixing bowl. In another bowl whisk together the other cup of flour with enough water to make it a beaten egg like consistency.
5. Place the breadcrumbs in a 3rd bowl.
6. Individually dip each slice of tofu first into the flour mix, then the watered flour & finally cover with breadcrumbs. Once coated, place the tofu on a plate.
7. To fry the schnitzel in a large frying pan heat up some oil and when hot place the slices in the pan for around 2-3 minutes on each side. Once the schnitzels are nice and golden, place them back on the plate on a paper towel to drink up excess oil.
Also by Imola: Crispy Vegan Vegetable Fritters (Gluten-free)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth