The top layer of this cake is like a thick jelly topping that makes the perfect replacement for frosting. This layer gives off the most vibrantly beautiful hue of red when the sun beams on it. This cake is so moist and fluffy and makes for the perfect holiday dessert.
Tip: A friend from Haiti taught me to keep the skin from the pomegranate after de-seeding, let it dry out, and then boil it to make a tea. This is a wonderful way to reduce food waste and to help heal a sore throat and cough.
Mediterranean-Inspired Pomegranate Pistachio Bundt Cake (Vegan)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softensd
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a Bundt pan.
2. Combine the pomegranate, orange juice, 1 tbsp sugar, and corn starch. Pour evenly into bottom of Bundt pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, coconut oil, and 2 cups of sugar. Stir in the applesauce.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cardamom.
5. Take turns slowly adding the dry ingredients and the milk into the mixing bowl with the butter. Mix until combined.
6. Fold pistachios into batter.
7. Pour batter into Bundt pan, on top of pomegranate.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Also by Lauren: Pomegranate Almond Tabouleh
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote