This simple but delicious recipe for Hasselback patatas bravas is a fun twist on the classic Spanish tapas dish.
Everyone loves this fancy looking (but very easy) way of cooking potatoes as it maximizes the amount of crispy skin you get on the outside and is asking for a delicious sauce to drip down into all the ravines.
The sauce is very authentic to the traditional dish, slightly sweet with paprika and a hint of chili for a spicy kick. I’ve added a creamy topping of seasoned vegan crème fraîche for a cooling contrast to round out the dish.
It would be perfect as part of a dinner party spread or as a hearty side for a weeknight meal.
Hasselback Patatas Bravas
- 1 kg medium potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 250 ml tomato passata
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 small onion (diced)
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 50 g vegan crème fraîche
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slice a thin strip off the bottom of each potato so they lie flat without wobbling. Place in between two chopsticks and using a sharp knife cut deep slits along each potato – about 3 mm thick – using the chopsticks as a guide so you don’t cut all the way through to the bottom.
3. Place the potatoes carefully in a baking dish coated with oil and then drizzle more oil on top, using a pastry brush to make sure all the skins are coated and brushing some of the oil into the slits.
4. Bake in the oven for 45 mins – 1 hour until the skins are crispy and the centers are cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Add the passata, purée, vegetable stock, onion, garlic, paprika, chili powder, and agave syrup to a saucepan and heat to medium. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until it has reduced nicely and then turn down to low for another 5 minutes to really thicken up.
6. Add the crème fraîche to a bowl with the apple cider vinegar, onion and garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and salt and mix together well. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
7. Once the potatoes are baked through, add the sauce followed by the crème fraîche. Top with more paprika and serve immediately.