1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F, and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick plant-based cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the flax meal and water. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken (this flax egg recipe is adapted from the Minimalist Baker).
3. In a large bowl, stir together your gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
4. Using a high powered blender, place the following ingredients in the blender in this order: the overly ripe bananas, olive oil, vanilla extract, flax eggs, and sugars. Blend until incorporated (if you don't have a high powered blender, you can mix the wet ingredients separately with a stand or hand mixer, but a blender like a Vitamix makes the recipe super easy and minimal dishes!).
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix by hand with a rubber spatula until a thick batter forms. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with the optional slices of bananas as a garnish.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove from the pan and allow to cool further on a wire rack. While the loaf is cooling, mix together your glaze by combining the confectionary sugar, vanilla extract, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Stir until a smooth glaze is formed.
8. For best results, glaze right before serving. Slice and enjoy!
Also by Colette: Orange Ginger Vegan Chocolate Truffles
Related: Banana Bread Date Newtons
Banana Bread Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Colette Goguen