Vegan Korean Sweet Red Bean Porridge
- 1 cup red beans (aka azuki beans)
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice flour (I recommend the brand Michiko).
- 10-15 dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 5 tablespoons or more as needed boiling water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- roasted chestnuts (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
1. Add beans with four cups of water in a large pot. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil for five minutes.
2. Drain beans and return beans to pot with four cups of water. Cover and simmer at medium low heat for 60-90 minutes. Check periodically.
3. When beans are soft and breakable, turn off heat and let beans cool as is in the cooked liquid.
4. After cooling, puree the beans with their liquid and dates in a blender. If necessary, split into two batches.
5. Return bean puree to pot. Mix one tablespoon of sweet rice flour in ½ cup of water, and add to pot.
6. Simmer at low heat and stir frequently. Add more water to adjust thickness of porridge, or leave as is. Adjust sweetness as well. Rice Cake Balls
1. While simmering porridge, mix rice flour and sugar in bowl. Stir in boiling hot water with spoon. Kneed by hand until dough is formed. If dough gets too dry, mist with water.
2. Shape dough into a thick cylinder. Cut into 3/4” pieces.
3. Roll each piece between palms into a small ball.
4. Add rice cake balls into a pot of boiling water. Cook until balls rise to the surface. Drain with cold water. Place in a bowl filled with cool water.
5. Add to porridge.
6. Garnish and serve.
Also by Vivian: Vegan Blue Onigiri With Curry Chickpea Filling
Related: Vegan Lentil Soup With Leek & Thyme
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Vivian Lee