When it comes to brunch, nothing will get me out of bed faster than a delicious food spread. I’m mostly a savory person, so I’ll nearly always opt for a tofu scramble over a pancake stack. But sometimes all I want is sweet, carb-y goodness, and that’s when this grilled french toast comes in handy.
While I’ve made several french toast recipes since going vegan, this is definitely my favorite: nutritional yeast and chickpea flour help impart a slightly eggy flavor, and the cooking method gives the outside a crispy texture. This weekend, I prepared this dish for brunch on Sunday, served alongside some vegan sausage and coffee. Let’s just say there weren’t any leftovers once my boyfriend and I were done eating 🙂 Indeed, this is the recipe you want to use when you have guests to impress!
Grilled Vegan French Toast
- 8 thick slices day-old bread
- 1 tablespoon coconut or sunflower oil
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Toppings: fruit of choice, maple syrup, vegan butter
1. In a large and shallow bowl, whisk together milk, flour, nutritional yeast, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt until combined (a few remaining clumps of flour are okay).
2. Heat coconut oil in a large grill pan over low-medium heat. Take a slice of bread and dunk it in the wet mixture for 20 seconds on each side. Place bread on grill pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, until grill marks appear. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat for remaining bread slices.
3. Serve warm, topped with fruit, maple syrup, vegan butter, or whatever sounds good!
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate Date Bread
Related: Cinnamon Roll French Toast
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne