My grandma recently made pineapple coleslaw and I missed out on trying it, but I used the idea as an inspiration to make my own. I also added jalapeño, cilantro, and lime into the mix to add some vibrancy to the flavor. If you don’t want to use the cane sugar called for, you can try swapping it out for maple syrup or honey. This is the perfect side to be served with some barbecue jackfruit or to use as a taco topping/burrito filler.
Vegan Tropical Pineapple Coleslaw
- 1 head radicchio
- 3–4 medium carrots
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cubed pineapple
- For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 1/2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the radicchio, carrots, and jalapeño to a food processor and pulse a few times until the mix is diced up. Alternatively, use a julienne peeler or mandolin to prep the veggies.
2. Pour the mix into a large bowl and stir in the cilantro, green onions, and pineapple.
3. Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the cabbage mix. Stir well to coat.
4. Store in the fridge before serving so it has time to chill.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote