When you want French toast but don’t have the sweet, soft challah that most recipes call for (or don’t want to indulge in all that sugar), you can easily alter the recipe to give it a savory twist. Stuffed with your favorite vegan fillings, savory french toast makes a delicious, hearty, protein-filled lunch or brunch that will keep you satisfied all day.
I started with a somewhat classic French toast base, using chickpea flour and nooch (a.k.a. nutritional yeast) to emulate the custardy richness that most recipes strive for.
I decided it would not simply suffice to eat this toast topped–I had to stuff it full of all the best flavors and textures imaginable for the most decadent of dishes.
My intention wasn’t clear at first–I was simply using whatever I had in my kitchen–but I soon realized that the recipe was coming together with some serious Mediterranean flair.
Salty, briny, umami-rich olives, tomatoes, marinated tofu, and more make for a delectable combination. But don’t just follow my lead–you can stuff or top this toast with anything imaginable.
If you’re feeling stuck, just think up alternative variations to your go-to sweet toast accompaniments.
Like jam on your French toast? Try a sweet and savory chutney. Prefer syrup? How about a balsamic reduction? If you want something creamy and dairy-like, a nice, herbed non-dairy cheese might suffice.
My suggestion is that the more differently flavored and textured elements you can get in there, the better.
*Tip: if you want to use briny, feta-style tofu like what is seen here, prep ahead: Thinly slice some firm tofu and let it sit overnight in a water and salt brine in the fridge (approximately 1 cup of water per 1 tablespoon of salt)
Savory Stuffed French Toast
- 4 slices stale, whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup marinated mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 4 slices marinated tofu
- 2 slices vegan mozzarella-style cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive tapenade
- handful(s) collard greens
1. (Toast bread for about 2 minutes if not stale).
2. Whisk together milk, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and pepper in bowl.
3. Dredge bread in batter until each slice is fully coated and most (if not all) batter is used.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in pan on medium-high heat.
5. Add collards and cook until wilted.
6. Fry 2 slices of bread at a time for about 1 minute on each side (until browned), adding remaining oil as needed.
7. Set 2 slices of bread aside, top each with equal amounts of mushrooms, tomato, tofu, and cheese.
8. Spread tapenade on remaining bread and top each sandwich.
9. Toast or fry stovetop until cheese is melty, then slice and serve.
Also by Quincy: Super Easy DIY Vegan Cheese
Related: Fennel and White Bean Hash
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas