- 1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- For the Buttercream Icing
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
2. Pour the almond milk and vinegar into a bowl and set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
3. Add some water to a tea kettle to boil.
4. Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl- the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, matcha, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients- the mashed banana, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk in the almond milk cider mix you had set aside.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add in the boiling water from the tea kettle and whisk in.
7. Add the batter to the cupcake pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
8. To make the buttercream frosting, add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and use a mixer to whip until a frosting forms.
9. Remove from oven, let cool, and top with frosting and matcha powder.
Also by Lauren: Pistachio Rose Water Belgian Waffle
Related: Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote