The orange tree in the backyard of our new house has got me thinking of creative ways to use the bounty of oranges it’s producing. Loving just about everything involving citrus zest, I decided to make these vegan and gluten-free orange scones. Sweetened with freshly-pressed orange juice and stevia and made with a blend of protein-rich gluten-free flours, they’re pretty guilt-free 😉
These hefty, tart scones make the perfect indulgent breakfast or coffee-break snack. Just be sure to grab a napkin or two–they’re a bit on the crumbly side. Enjoy!
Vegan and Gluten-Free Orange Scones
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup stevia baking blend (or granulated sweetener of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (almond flour, chickpea flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt, stevia/granulated sweetener).
3. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (water, orange juice, vanilla extract, coconut oil).
4. Pour the wet ingredient mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix well. Gently fold in the orange zest.
5. Place the heap of dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the dough into a large circle, no more than 2-3 inches thick.
6. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the loaf are gold-brown. When it looks like the scone loaf is done baking, stick a knife into the center. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go. If it comes out with dough sticking to it, bake the loaf for 3-5 minutes longer or until the knife comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Once the loaf has had a chance to cool, use a pizza cutter to slice the loaf into 8, triangle-shaped pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Related: Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell