My absolute favorite thing to eat when summer rolls around is fresh, delicious strawberries. Not only are strawberries sweet and hydrating, they’re also a source of vitamin C, fiber, manganese, and potassium. Talk about a guilt-free snack.
Nothing says sweet treat like a summer strawberry pie. Of course, I had to modify my favorite strawberry treat when I changed my lifestyle and became healthier. I only eat organic, non-GMO, dairy-free, wheat-free, and soy-free foods, so things can get a little complicated–but not for this pie! Nope … this one is easy peasy.
I bought a premade pie crust from my local health store. The brand is Wholly Wholesome, and their pie crusts are certified vegan and gluten-free, but feel free to use a pie crust of your choosing or make one from scratch. Peaceful Dumpling’s Lauren Sacerdote has crafted her own vegan scratch pie crust that you may also be interested in 🙂
Fresh Strawberry Pie
- 1 vegan pie crust
- 1 package fresh, organic strawberries
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Non-GMO corn starch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Take your pie crust out of the freezer and thaw. (Or prepare your homemade vegan pie crust as needed.)
2. Hull your strawberries and place two cups aside and two cups in a saucepan.
3. Place pie crust in preheated oven at 375°F for ten minutes.
4. Remove crust from oven and allow pie crust to cool. Then fill with whole strawberries.
5. Mash your strawberries in the saucepan and add sugar and corn starch.
6. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking.
7. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and let cool slightly.
8. Poor mixture over fresh strawberries and then chill in fridge for 4 hours.
9. Top with coconut whipped cream or powdered sugar! YUM!
Also by Ange: Top 5 Vegan Summer Recipes for Picky Eaters
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Ange Alex