- Cranberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 zested lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Vegan Pie Crust
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 6-12 T ice cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 'Egg' Wash
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup soy milk
- Cranberry Glaze
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp soy milk
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cranberry chia jam (set aside)
Prepare the Dough & Jam
1. Make the chia jam: Pour 2 cups of frozen cranberries, 1 tbsp lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup water, and ½ cup sugar into a pot. Boil for 6–8 minutes, or until the cranberries start to burst, and then reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Let the jam rest and solidify overnight.
3. Prepare the crust: Add 4 cups of flour, 4 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt, stirring until well combined. Add 1 ⅓ cup coconut oil to a bowl, and break into tiny pieces. Slowly mix and add 6–12 T ice cold water, one spoonful at a time, kneading with your hands until the dough forms a ball.
4. Refrigerate the dough for 24–48 hours.
Bake the Pop-Tarts
1. Take the dough out of the refrigerator, and roll out until it’s approximately ⅛ inch thick. Cut into rectangles 3 inches wide by 5 inches high.
2. Set aside 2 tsp of cranberry chia jam for the powdered sugar glaze.
3. Place a dollop of chia jam on half of the rectangles, saving the other half of the pie dough rectangles to go on top.
4. Lightly massage the edges of the chia jam halves with water. Press the second piece of dough on top and pinch the edges together with a fork.
5. Prepare ⅛ cup of soy milk and ⅛ cup of maple syrup as a vegan egg wash substitute. Brush over the top of the Pop-Tarts and pierce the center of the Pop-Tart three times with a fork, to allow heat to escape from the center of the pastry.
6. Place the filled and crimped Pop-Tarts in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
7. Bake at 350 for 15–20 minutes or until the edges tart to brown slightly.
8. Prepare the glaze: Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and then stir with soy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and chia jam.
9. Remove pop tarts from oven and let cool.
10. Once cooled, glaze the Pop-Tarts and enjoy!
Also by Dana: Crispy Onion Carrot Slaw Sub
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick