In celebration of spring weather(!), I devised this fantastic and slightly indulgent overnight oats recipe this weekend. Gone are the days when I’m interested in a steaming bowl of oatmeal, cooked over the stove in an effort to stay warm. For the next few months, I’m planning to live off green smoothies, granola, and this strawberry shortcake overnight oats recipe.
My favorite part of this recipe is the cashew whipped cream (shocker, I know), since it adds a nice richness to the fresh strawberries and cold oats. And since this recipe makes a lot of the stuff, you can use as a fruit dip, a topping for ice cream, or even sandwiched between two cookies. Even my boyfriend, the pickiest vegan I know, fell in love with this cream–that saying something, you guys. Here’s to many more warm weather breakfasts!
Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups water or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for 6 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, water or milk, chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of the agave, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Place in refrigerator to thicken for a couple hours or overnight.
2. While oats are soaking, prepare the cashew whipped cream. Drain soaked cashews and place in a blender, along with water, the remaining 2 teaspoons of agave, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and creamy but still thick (depending on the blender you use, you may need to add more water to get the mixture going. As a result, your cream may be thinner than the one pictured, but it will still taste delicious!).
3. In the morning, assemble your overnight oats. In a container or mason jar, spread a thin layer of oats. Top with sliced strawberries and a dollop of cashew whipped cream. You can also try multiple layers for a parfait-type breakfast!
Also by Molly: Chocolate Cherry Biscotti
Related: Creamy Cauliflower Overnight Oats
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne