- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups flour (spelt, gluten-free, and whole wheat pastry flour should all work)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and water and set aside to gel.
3. In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together coconut oil, sugar, and extract until very smooth. (You can also use a stand mixer, but you can use a whisk and bowl in a pinch.)
4. Now whisk in the flax egg and milk. Add one cup of flour to the mixture and stir until combined. Then add the second cup of flour, baking powder, and sea salt, and work the dough until everything is combined. Finally, fold in the cherries and chocolate chips, making sure they are evenly dispersed throughout the dough (you may need to use your hands here).
5. Place the dough onto a baking sheet and form into a log that is about 1″ tall and 8-9″ long. Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking at the 25-minute mark to make sure the dough doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven and slice into pieces that are about 1″ thick.
6. Set out to cool and harden for 15-20 minutes. Store in a glass container.
Also by Molly: Strawberry Rose Cashew Milk
Related: Cocoa Almond Biscotti
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne