This super easy black lentil salad with baby spinach and cucumber is perfect for the summer.
It’s filling either as a side dish or a main. Cooking the dry black lentil on your own lets you develop the flavor without resorting to a lot of salt and oil. To make it a little more Mediterranean, I love to top it with vegan feta cheese. But it’s simply delicious on its own—this salad is proof that you don’t need oil or extra flavors to make a tasty, well-rounded dish.
Vegan Black Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dry black lentil
- 3-4 handful baby spinach
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- half of a medium cucumber, cubed
- half of a medium bell pepper, sliced
- 3-4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- to taste salt, pepper
- to taste vegan feta cheese (optional)
1. Over medium heat, cook the black lentil in just that much water that covers it. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat and cook for 20 more minutes. When it’s cooked, remove the cooking water and wash the lentils over with cold water. Set aside to dry.
2. While the lentil is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. Slice up the vegetables and chop the parsley.
3. Once everything is ready, mix the veggies and the lentil in a bowl, season with parsley, salt and pepper and add the balsamic vinegar to it.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth