This jam is definitely more savory than it is sweet. I added a bunch of spices that are typically used in ketchup and rounded out the flavors with a touch of balsamic. This can be used in a multitude of ways and the creative possibilities are endless . You can spread it inside of a grilled cheese or on top of a veggie burger, or you can mash it into some avocado to make a quick dip. I served mine on some crackers with melted vegan cheese and fresh basil for an easy snack. I used “ace” tomatoes that were around the size of a baseball, but you can use any tomatoes that you have, as long as it equals about 2 cups once they’re chopped.
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Chop up the tomatoes and add them to a pot over medium low heat.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a couple minutes.
3. Stir in the sugar, balsamic, and remaining spices.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for about an hour, until it begins to thicken. Keep in mind that it will thicken even more upon removal from the heat.
5. Remove from heat and let cool before storing in the fridge.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote