My attempt at recreating Vinyl's unforgettable avocado toast was a success. I would gladly eat this for lunch every day! There are no extreme ingredients here, but the trick is to use good-quality stuff (use the BEST aged, syrupy balsamic you can find!) and to make it with love and care. Enjoy!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- sprinkle dried thyme
- 1–2 shallots, sliced (can sub red onion)
- 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- to taste salt and black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pain over high heat. When it’s hot, add shallots and mushrooms. Add salt and black pepper (to taste) and thyme, stir fry for about 5–6 minutes until mushrooms are caramelized and brown. Turn off heat.
2. Mash avocado in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Melt vegan butter in a clean non-stick pan. Add bread and toast on each side until golden brown. Alternatively, you can use a toaster.
4. To assemble, lay the toast, smear a thick layer of avocado mash, top with mushrooms, and drizzle with the highest quality balsamic vinegar you can find. I used aged Modena fig vinegar. Bon appetit!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling