Enjoy tofu steak bowls for an easy weeknight dinner, or whip it up for a fun date-night in. If you're in a hurry, try splitting the prep by marinading the tofu in the morning and baking in the evening. I like to serve my tofu steak bowls with a bit of hot sauce and hummus.
Vegan Turmeric Tofu Steak Bowls With Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 16-ounce package of extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoons Tamari lite
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sweet potato cubes
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1/4 cup + almond milk
- 1 bunch broccolini
- to taste Himalayan sea salt
- to taste Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Slice the slab of tofu into six rectangles and drizzle with tamari.
3. Combine the nutritional yeast, cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, curry powder, and black pepper in a dish. Place tofu in an oven-safe dish and press into spice mixture until all sides are covered. Cover and allow to sit for 15-30 minutes to allow flavors to marinate.
4. After marinating, place pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, flipping slices halfway.
5. While the tofu steak is baking, add diced sweet potatoes and carrots to steamer basket and steam for 8-10 minutes on high, until fork tender. Allow to cool slightly, then add to a high-speed blender with almond milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more almond milk as needed for thinner consistency. Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Add the broccolini to the steamer and steam for 3-4 minutes, until vibrant green and tender-crisp.
7. To assemble, add broccolini and sweet potato carrot smash to bowls and top with 1-2 tofu steaks. Top with fresh parsley, if desired.
Also by Lauren: Easy Chickpea & Broccoli Bowl
Related: Sweet Potato Avocado Zen Bowl
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier