I always associate Easter with pie and this makes for the perfect spring dessert. I made this with fresh fruit as it is becoming readily available everywhere so I’m not sure how it would turn out using frozen. You can play around with what kind of cheese or herbs you want to add on top and even experiment using other kinds of berries, as long as the measurements equal three cups. Another great addition for a more robust flavor would be red onions or green scallions. This recipe will make two six inch pies or one full size pie.
Vegan Balsamic Beet Berry Pie
- For the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup cold water
- For the filling:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup balsamic beets, chopped
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- To top:
- 1 tbsp vegan feta crumbles
- fresh basil to top
1. Prepare the pie crust. Add flour, salt, and sugar to a food processor and pulse a couple times. Add butter and pulse a few more times until it looks crumbly.
2. Slowly add the water and pulse until a dough ball forms. You may not need to use all of the water. The dough should stick together, but not to your hands.
3. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it is about an inch larger than the pan you’re using. Place the dough into the pie pan and crump the edges.
4. Refrigerate the pie crust for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 375°F.
5. Use a fork to pierce a few holes into the bottom of the pie crust. Place in the oven and bake for ten minutes.
6. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Add all ingredients to a bowl, mix well, and set aside until crust is done baking. You will notice the fruit start to release their juices.
7. Remove crust from the oven. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the filling into the crust. The slotted spoon will assure your crust won’t get soggy.
8. Top with feta crumbles and bake for another 30–35 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote