I came up with this recipe for Vegan Tempeh Stir Fry With Fennel & Peaches on a whim, which is a rare and laudable occurrence these days. I've been mostly eating simple grain bowls and massaged kale salads since they're both affordable and quick to assemble. I'm studying for a big exam in September that's been demanding all of my attention, in addition to work and yoga, so between now and then, you'll see lots of simple and easy recipes from me on PD. Despite tasting really complex, this tempeh stir fry is quick to make. Simply chop your veggies, whisk together your sauce, and sauté everything together. You can serve the stir fry alongside rice as I did here, or boil some rice or soba noodles and add them to the finished product.
Vegan Tempeh Stir Fry With Fennel & Peaches
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 2-3 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz tempeh, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 peach, diced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- Juice of one lime
1. Heat sesame oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. 2. Add fennel to the skillet and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Then add the peach and tempeh and stir everything together. If the mixture begins sticking to the pan, add a tablespoon of water. Let cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. 3. While stir fry is cooking, whisk together the peanut butter, tamari, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and maple syrup. 4. After the stir fry has cooked for five minutes, add the sauce to the pan and mix together to coat. Cook for another minute to heat the sauce through. Top with scallions prior to serving. 5. Serve alongside lime wedges and rice or noodles.
Also by Molly: Vegan Bolognese Sauce with Tempeh & Red Wine
Related: Brown Rice and Beet Miso Stir Fry
Vegan Bibimbap (Mixed Rice Bowl)
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne