This vegan bolognese is a really special dish, and let me explain: I've never been one to possess a list of "tried and true" recipes that are cooked again and again over many years. For one, I'm a person that thrives on variety, culinarily speaking, so cooking and eating the same dish repeatedly is rather unappealing to me. I also just really enjoy trying new recipes and ingredients, and I like to experiment as much as I can in the kitchen. So I was surprised when, after making this vegan bolognese sauce on the fly this past winter, I began craving it again almost immediately. Last weekend, I finally had the ingredients on hand to replicate this easy but delicious vegan entrée, and I was so grateful to have a solid recipe that I can add to my culinary arsenal. Whether you rely on staples or enjoy creating new dishes, I hope this tempeh vegan bolognese is one that you try and love.
Vegan Bolognese Sauce With Tempeh & Red Wine
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 4 servings
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, begin by sautéing garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. 2. Add crumbled tempeh to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add oregano, thyme, tamari, coconut sugar, and red wine to the skillet and mix to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. 3. While sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. 4. Add pasta to sauce and toss to combine. Serve warm, topped with nutritional yeast if desired.
Also by Molly: Gingery Tamarind Tempeh
Related: Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne