Tangy, Crunchy Asian Noodle Cabbage Salad (Heirloom Recipe)
- 1 Large Napa Cabbage
- 6–8 Green Onion
- 1/2 cup (one stick) Vegan Butter
- 4 ounces Sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces Sliced Almonds
- 6 ounces Ramen Noodles (broken up)
- 1 cup Neutral oil
- 1/2 cup Tarragon vinegar
- 3 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Sugar
1. Cut the end off the Napa cabbage and cut into bite sized pieces. Chop your green onions (I think the more the better) and combine the cabbage and onion in a bowl. Put in refrigerator to chill.
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds, almonds, and broken ramen noodles and sauté until golden brown and crunchy. Remove from heat and lay on reusable paper towels until cool.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine the neutral oil (I used sunflower), tarragon vinegar, soy sauce and sugar and mix well. I like to add everything into a big mason jar and shake it.
4. Once everything is chilled and ready, you’re good to grub. Throw a generous handful of crunchy goodness on top of the napa cabbage mix, then douse it all with dressing and enjoy.
5. My grandma used to store all the ingredients separately. Her rationale was that the crunchies lose their integrity once the dressing is incorporated. I’ve had it both ways, and I love it regardless. So play with it and see what you like. But note, the dressing will separate so give it a good shake if you’re reaching for it after it’s been sitting for a few hours.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: R. Coker