With the holidays over and Valentine’s Day weeks away, mid-January seems to suffer from a sweet treat dry spell. Not on my watch.
My favorite sweet snacks often include nuts for satiation and a little bit of salt for complexity. This sweet and spicy caramel nut candy is a delicious treat that will win over any crowd.
The idea to add red pepper flakes was a bit of a wild card but it added a fun and unexpected layer of flavor to this yummy snack. Feel free to customize by removing the red pepper flakes if you don’t like spice or use different nuts and seeds like macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, or pumpkin seeds! The options are endless.
Sweet and Spicy Caramel Nut Candy
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and roast for 7-10 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water and sugar.
4. Add the vanilla extract to the mixture and swirl the pan to combine. Stirring may create a grainy caramel.
5. Add the nuts, salt, and red pepper flakes to the caramel and stir to combine.
6. Spread the candy on a sheet of parchment paper in a flat layer.
7. Let cool completely. Once cooled, break the sheet into large pieces and store in an airtight container.
Also by Olivia: 6-Ingredient, Healthy Key Lime Pie
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Olivia Parr