This hearty vegan sweet potato kale black bean chili has a low to moderate level of spice, but you can adjust seasoning to taste. If you're sensitive to spice I recommend at least halving the amount of paprika and cayenne pepper. If you like spicy food, I would suggest adding more smoked paprika and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 large Sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Kale
- 1 can Black beans
- 3 large Tomatoes
- 2 cups Corn
- 1 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 4-6 wedges Lemon or lime
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
1. Chop the onion roughly into large chunks.
2. Chop the sweet potatoes and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with cumin, cayenne, oregano, and paprika.
3. Mash the garlic.
4. In a large pot, heat up some olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, kale, tomato and sweet potato chunks. Stir frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add a little water if needed.
5. After 10 minutes, add the black beans and corn, including the juices.
6. Stir well. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 more minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste – I used half a teaspoon of each.
8. Add a squeeze of lemon or lime before serving. Serve with rice or tortilla chips. This would also taste great in jacket potatoes. Enjoy! 😊 This chili will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or you can freeze the leftovers.
Related: Cozy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan