Towards the end of summer, I start craving massive salads full of dark fruits, hearty vegetables, and crunchy nuts. There is something about the change in seasons that inspire me to return to my favorite End of Summer Salad. I love how the hearty texture, rainbow of colors, and flavor of this salad signify the end of light summer meals and the transition to the more substantial meals of fall and winter. Full of mildly sweet blueberries, crispy chili garbanzo beans, tangy pickled red onions, and creamy almond butter mustard dressing, this salad will be the perfect way to celebrate the change in seasons.
- 4 Cups Green Lettuce
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 Cup Almond Butter
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Naval Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 14 oz. Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1. Combine the almond butter, orange juice, lime juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. You may add water to thin out the consistency, if desired. 2. Wash and chop the lettuce. Place in a large serving bowl. 3. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees. 4. Rinse the garbanzo beans and toss with chili powder, salt, and pepper. 5. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool completely. 6. Chop the avocado into bite-size pieces. 7. Add the blueberries, avocado, pickled red onion, crispy garbanzo beans, and sunflower seeds to the salad. 8. Drizzle with the almond butter dressing and toss. 9. Serve immediately.