Spirulina really has earned its place as ‘the miracle superfood…did you know that 65% of it is complete protein (that’s more than steak!), and that it has trace amounts of almost EVERY nutrient humans need? It’s a nutritional bombshell, and while that should be reason enough to eat it every day, those of you who have tried it before might be tempted not to because of the taste. I definitely did cringe the first time I tried it, but I’ve taken it upon myself to create spirulina recipes that taste amazing—and this smoothie bowl is just that. Give it a try… I promise this tastes like a treat, and gone will be the days you have to coax yourself to have your daily dose of this amazing superfood!
Spirulina Detox Bowl With Rawnola
- 1 Brazil Nut
- 1 Banana, very ripe
- 1 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Spirulina
- Chunk of Ginger, peeled and chopped
- A couple of generous squeezes of Lemon Juice
- 2 handfuls (or about 2 cups) Frozen Cauliflower Florets
- 3/4 cup Frozen Spinach
- Oat Milk
- Handful or two of Blueberries
- 12 Dates
- 1 cup Rolled oats
To make Rawnola (makes 4 Servings):
1. Pit the dates.
2. Add half of them with the oats to a blender or food processor and blend until the dates are broken up.
2. Keep adding the rest of the dates one at a time until you get a chunky/crumbly doughy consistency.
To make the smoothie (Makes 1 Serving):
1. Add all ingredients except the blueberries and rawnola to a blender and blend (add just enough Oat Milk to blend, the consistency should be relatively thick).
2. Put your smoothie in a large bowl and top it off with some blueberries and 1/4 of the rawnola recipe. Enjoy!
– Store the rest of the rawnola in a glass jar in the fridge until the next time you use it!
– I find the more Spirulina I eat, the more accustomed I get to the taste – so feel free to add 1tsp of Spirulina (instead of just 1/2tsp) when you feel comfortable doing so!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rebecca Botello