My favorite winter treat, presimmon. Most of the people don’t even know what it is, or if they are familiar with them from the charcuterie board, they never tasted it. What a big mistake. You can eat them raw, or make an amazing smoothie, but they are perfect roasted as well. To find the perfect persimmon, you just have to touch them. If they are soft, just a tiny little bit then they can make their was into the basket.
This easy yet elegant roasted persimmon salad is perfect as a main dish when you are planning to have something light, but would even make an elegant splash on the holiday table as well.
Roasted Persimmon Salad with Mushrooms & Vegan Feta
- 4 persimmons
- 150g mache salad (lamb’s lettuce)
- 2 cups mushroom mix
- 1/2 cups vegan feta cheese
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- to taste olive oil
- to taste sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Remove the stem and bottom of the persimmons and cut them into 5mm-thick rounds. Place them on parchment paper on a baking sheet, drizzle with a splash of olive oil and sage.
3. Put them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until they start to brown.
4. Meanwhile prepare the mushrooms in a frying pan. Heat up some oil over medium heat and add garlic. When fragrant add the mushrooms to the pan. Stir frequently until mushrooms become tender and golden brown.
5. When persimmon is done, remove from oven and let it cool a little.
6. Line the bottom of a serving wessel or a plate with mache, layer persimmon on top while still warm (but not hot), top them with mushrooms and crumbled vegan feta.
7. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sage and sea salt.
8. If you’d like it a little more festive you can top with seeds mix or pomegranate seeds, too. To be even more fancy, use black Hawaiian sea salt to finish.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth