The original inspiration for this salad is Mediterranean with smoked raw balyk that I replaced with smoked grilled tofu. But there are so many interesting ingredients in it like sweet melon and corn, nectarine, and salty vegan feta cheese.
It makes for a perfect breakfast with the potato pancakes, but you can also eat the salad as a side dish or as an appetizer over bruschetta.
- 1 sweet corn
- 1/4 melon
- 1 nectarine
- 200g vegan feta cheese
- 100 g smoked tofu
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp each Italian herbs (oregano, parsley, basil)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- to taste salt
- 90g gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs
- 150ml almond milk
- 4 tbsp mashed potatoes
For the pancakes:
1. To make the batter, place the flour, baking powder, flax egg, plant milk and leftover mashed potato in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Season with a little freshly ground black pepper to taste.
2. At this stage, you can cover the batter with cling film and place in the fridge overnight to make pancakes the next day, but make sure you give the batter another whisk before frying.
3. When ready to cook, heat some oil and/or a little vegan butter in a non-stick frying pan. Pour a tablespoon of batter for each pancake into the pan—depending on the size of your pan you can cook 3–4 pancakes at a time. Allow the pancakes to cook for a minute or so without moving. Bubbles will begin to appear on the top, at which point you can flip them over and continue to cook until the undersides are golden.
For the salad:
1. Best is if you choose a not-too-ripe melon to avoid it ruining on the grill. Cut melon into 1 cm slices and fry on the red-hot frying pan both sides until grill strips appear. Cool down melon a bit, cut it into small cubes and put into a bowl.
2. Cut smoked tofu into small cubes or strips, you can add it to the salad as it is or fry before. Add herbs and add to the bowl with the melons.
3. Cut seeds from the corn cob. Then cut nectarine and vegan feta cheese into cubes. Add it to the salad, too.
Add balsamic vinegar and olive oil too.
4. Mix all ingredients, season with salt and black pepper mignonette.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth