- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup purple onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- juice from 1 lemon
1. In a small pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the water and rinse the orzo under cold water to prevent further cooking. Set aside.
2. While the orzo is cooking, prepare the broth. Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and stir.
3. Add the spices and mix well. Let cook for a few minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
4. Add the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
5. Simmer for about 15 minutes to let the flavors infuse and so the carrots can cook through.
6. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
7. To serve, add a scoop of orzo to a bowl and top with broth.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Bahn Mi Bowl With Kimchi
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote