Towards the end of December, there’s nothing I crave more than fresh fruits and veggies. While I love all the holiday goodies the season brings, too many get me running to the crisper, ready to devour anything that’s not sugar-coated or in a pie shell.
That desire inspired this Vegan Apple, Kohlrabi & Jicama Salad, which graced the table at a recent family dinner. It got everyone coming back for seconds and thirds, and even left them too full for dessert! Now that’s a sign of a good dish.
This dish, in particular, is full of fiber, healthy fats, and Vitamin C. If you’re craving something wholesome to ring in the new year, I highly recommend you try this one out!
Fiber-Rich Vegan Apple, Kohlrabi & Jicama Salad
- 4 heads kohlrabi
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large apples
- 1 medium jicama
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (optional)
1. Peel kohlrabi and slice into matchsticks.
2. Place in large bowl and top with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
3. Mix well and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, peel apples and jicama. Matchstick them as well and set aside.
5. Whisk together lemon juice and mustard.
6. Pour over kohlrabi, then add apples and jicama and toss well.
7. Gently stir in tarragon, sunflower seeds, and cheese (if desired).
8. Drizzle with molasses and serve.
Also by Quincy: Vegan Vietnamese Pan-Fried Noodles
Related: Pineapple Jicama Slaw
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas