I'd love to share this pickled cucumber cream soup recipe with you which is a traditional Hungarian dish from the area of lake Balaton which is one of the biggest lakes in Europe. The recipe is super easy and quick, especially if you use store-brought pickles.
You can make it rustic with just blending everything together or if you'd like a smoother version then blend together the cucumbers first, filter them through a cloth and only after blend again with the remaining ingredients. I like it rustic, as on the pictures.
You can serve it with fresh bread, top with vegan bacon (I made tofu bacon), oil and some fresh dill. or chopped pickled cucumbers.
Hungarian Cream Of Pickled Cucumber Soup (Vegan, GF)
- 150g English cucumber
- 400g pickled cucumbers
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 dl juice of pickled cucumber
- 2.5 dl unsweetened Greek style vegan yogurt
- to taste black pepper, salt
- olive oil
- vegan bacon
- to taste fresh or dried dill
1. Peel the English cucumber, cut in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Chop is up and add it to a blender.
Add the chopped pickled cucumbers with their juice, garlic and blend it all together.
2. Decide if you want a rustic soup or a smoother one. You can make it rustic by just blending everything together. If you’d like a smoother version, then blend together the cucumbers first, filter them through a cloth and only after blend again with the remaining ingredients (except vegan bacon and yogurt).
I like it rustic, as in the pictures.
3. Mix your cucumber mash with the Greek style vegan yogurt and let it chill in the fridge for 2–3 hours before serving.
4. Once ready to serve taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and season well with fresh or dried dill, top it with vegan bacon, olive oil or chopped pickled cucumbers.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth