When layered on top to bake, the cornbread soaks up some of the juice from the beans and adds an extra layer of flavor. This can be served as a small meal by itself, or it would also be tasty served with some collard greens or kale on the side. You can double or triple the recipe if you want to make a bigger casserole using a larger pan.
Vegan Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole
- For the beans:
- 2 15oz cans navy beans, drained
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the cornbread:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 5 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- pinch if salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan.
2. Add all of the ingredients for the baked beans to a large bowl and mix well. Pour into the prepared baking pan and set aside.
3. Prepare the cornbread batter. Combine the almond milk and cider vinegar and whisk. Stir in the baking soda and set aside.
4. Prepare your flax egg by mixing the flax and water together and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Stir in the almond milk and the flax egg.
6. Add cornmeal, flour, and salt and stir until there are no clumps.
7. Pour batter in an even layer on top of the baked beans.
8. Put in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before cutting and serving.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote