Sichuan Hot & Sour Shredded Potatoes (GF Vegan)
- 1x big potato (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ each green and red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ raw cane sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro (or chopped spring onion as topping)
1. Prepare a bowl of water for your sliced potato.
2. Peel, clean and thinly slice your potato and transfer to your bowl of water until covered (to avoid oxidation) and pour in 1 tbsp of vinegar and let it sit while you prepare your other ingredients. (the vinegar helps keep the potatoes crisp and crunchy when you stir fry them later)
3. Next thinly slice ¼ of bell peppers (I like using green and red bell peppers to add some colors – you can simply just choose one color or stick with the potatoes)
4. On a hot pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of sesame oil and add your chili flakes.
5. Then rinse out your potato water and add your slices to stir fry in the chili oil.
6. After a few minutes, when you see the potato turn transparent, add in your bell peppers.
7. Add a pinch of black pepper, 1 tsp of vinegar and ½ tsp of raw cane sugar to balance out the acidity and spiciness and a pinch of salt to taste.
8. When you’re happy with the texture of your bell pepper and potatoes, transfer onto a plate and top with cilantro or spring onion to finish. Enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino