- For the bread:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- For the feta spread:
- 2 cups walnuts
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp water
- To top
- fig preserves
- fresh rosemary
For the bread:
1. Pour the yeast and warm water into a large mixing bowl and stir until the yeast dissolves.
2. Add the salt.
3. Stir in the flour one cup at a time. If you don’t have a mixer, I find that a rubber spatula works well until the dough gets thicker and then I just mix the last cup of flour in with my hands.
4. Once the dough is mixed, shape it into a ball and leave it in the mixing bowl. Cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and let it rise for about an hour and a half.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
6. Transfer the dough to a greased cast iron pan.
7. Coat the top layer of the dough in a thin layer of olive oil.
8. Using a knife, make two strike marks in the center of the dough.
9. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 40 minutes.
For the feta spread:
1. Add all ingredients to blender and blend until it turns into a paste.
2. Store in the refrigerator while the bread bakes so it stays firm.
When the bread is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool. Slice and top with feta spread, fig preserves and rosemary.
Persimmon Grape Quinoa Salad
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote