During the winter I tend to eat much heavier meals than I do when the weather warms up a little bit. When the transitional period from winter to spring comes in March, I find myself still craving dense, filling foods but wanting more light and fresh flavors mixed in rather than warming spices. This salad is made up of a a three-bean base with added parsley and lemon juice to bring the flavor of the beans to life. The parsley is a natural detoxifier and the lemon juice contains high amounts of vitamin c, making this the perfect meal to eat while entering ‘allergy’ season.
This salad uses minimal ingredients, making it super cheap in cost, and it only takes about ten minutes to make. This will make about 4-5 servings so it makes for easy meal prep. It can be served over rice or greens, eaten with chips as a dip, or stuffed into a pita pocket.
Herbed Mediterranean Mixed Bean Salad
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can light red kidney beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small purple onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted & sliced
- to taste salt & pepper
1. Drain the cans of beans and pour them all into a big bowl.
2. Add the parsley, red pepper, garlic, and onion to a blender. Pulse a few times to chop up the ingredients, leaving chunks. Pour into the bowl with the beans.
3. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and mix everything together well.
4. Stir in the olives.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote