Sweet potatoes can easily be found year-round and have the versatility to be served a number of different ways. This recipe for grilled sweet potatoes with avocado chimichurri sauce works in several ways, both in flavor and nutrient profile. For the sauce, I chose to create a version of a chimichurri sauce that is widely used in South American cooking.
Traditionally served with grilled meat, the flavor profiles work beautifully with the smoky, charred sweet potato. There are a number of different varieties of sweet potatoes, but it is vitamin A, specifically beta carotene, that gives them their characteristically orange hue. Since vitamin A is fat-soluble, the olive oil and avocado in this recipe work to increase its absorption. This recipe makes a great side dish and could even be a perfect thing to set out when entertaining.
Vegan Grilled Sweet Potatoes w/ Avocado Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Avocado chimichurri sauce
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 serano pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- to taste sea salt
1. Cut the potatoes into wedges, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Mix until potatoes are evenly coated.
2. Place on the grill over medium heat and cook for about 15 min each side.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the garlic, herbs, shallot, and pepper. Add into a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, and mash in the avocado. Stir until smooth.
4. Take sweet potatoes off the grill and serve topped with the chimichurri sauce.
Also by Kathryn: Sesame Red Bell Pepper Soup
Related: Vegan Sweet & Savory Corn Pudding
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kathryn Farrugia