I used buttery yukon gold potatoes because they create the perfect balance to offset the pungent sauerkraut and yogurt. Im sure you can use whatever potatoes you have on hand and still get similar results. I roasted my potatoes before adding them to the soup to give them a more robust taste. I also added a couple carrots to sweeten and round out the flavors a bit. You can add more carrots or omit them all together, depending on your preference.
Vegan Roasted Potato Sauerkraut Soup
- olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, diced and peeled
- 2 diced and peeled carrots
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup plan vegan yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Toss potatoes in olive oil and pour onto a baking tray. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
3. While potatoes are baking, prepare your other ingredients. In a large pot, add a little olive and heat over medium heat.
4. Add the garlic, shallot, and spices and sauté for a couple minutes. Remove potatoes and carrots from oven and add to the pot.
5. Sauté for a minute before adding the water and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
6. Cook for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes are almost falling apart. Remove from heat.
7. Stir in the sauerkraut and yogurt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Top with fresh parsley and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote